Friday, March 19, 2010

Prayer: Familiar

(Post 3 of 10 posts about prayer.)

"...[Y]our Father knows what you need before you ask Him." - Jesus teaching about prayer in Matthew 6:8.

When Jesus teaches Christians how to pray in Matthew 6:5-15, He refers to God as 'Father' six times (count 'em if you don't believe me). If you're a Christian, you are God's son or daughter. He is your Father. Speak with Him accordingly.

I don't want my kids to formalize their interactions with me. Nor do I want them to disrespect me. I don't want them to treat me like a school principle, a police officer, a vending machine, or their best friend. I want them to treat me like their dad. This is how Jesus teaches Christians to approach God as well. As the perfect Dad. Warm, wise, and worthy of respect.

1. Prayer is secret.
2. Prayer is familiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment